Today’s modern lifestyle works on the motto of ‘Work Hard, Party Harder.’ In such a busy schedule of day to day life, weekends and parties are the much-needed stress busters. But for some people the conditions worsen after a hard-core party. The reason is a hangover. A bad hangover may ruin your day entirely and may not let you have the required rest. So let us find out ‘How to get rid of a hangover fast,’ so that you can enjoy those fun parties in future.
What To Do Before And While Drinking?
- Before getting started with the party, drink lots of water. Doing this activity will not only keep you hydrated, but will also dilute the alcohol that will go into your body.
- To slow down the absorption of alcohol, eat lots of fat containing foods, rather than foods that contain more carbohydrates. Before drinking, eat foods like fries, sausages, pizzas, steak etc. The fats that you consume grease the walls of your intestines for at least 12 hours. So the absorption of alcohol becomes slower.
- Keep time gaps between drinks. Best practice is to drink water or any other non-alcoholic drink between each alcoholic drink, so that the consumed alcohol becomes diluted.
- Drink lighter alcohols. Clear alcohols like beer, gin, vodka etc. do not give much hangover compared to dark or malt liquors like whiskey, rum or red wines.
How Do You Get Rid Of A Hangover After Drinking Liquor?
1. Over The Counter Medications
You can take a medicine that is devoid of acetaminophen. Ibuprofen or Aspirin are such over-the-counter medicines. The effects of such medicines last only for four hours. So taking them before sleeping will not help to get rid of a hangover.
Alcohol interferes with the processing of acetaminophen by the liver. So taking a medicine with acetaminophen may lead to inflammation or permanent damage to the liver.
2. Consume Lots Of Water And Electrolytes
Drink lots of water and sports drinks that replenish the electrolytes in the body. A hangover is often accompanied by dehydration. So following this tip will prevent dehydration.
The processes through which alcohol is broken down, also lead to the production of lactic acid and other few chemicals that disrupt the production of glucose and electrolytes. Hence, it is advisable to drink some sports drinks. Do not drink something with caffeine, as it may increase the dehydration.
3. Eat A Burnt Toast
Did you notice that people who are taken to hospitals for curing the alcohol poisoning are pumped with potent carbon slurry in their stomachs? Carbon is a substance that has a great capacity to filter impurities. So eating a burnt toast will do the same trick at home.
4. Eat Bland Food Items
Many people think that eating bland foods increases the carbon and consequently the absorption of alcohol. But this does not hold true. Eating bland foods like crackers or toast increases the sugar levels in the blood. The alcohol that has entered your system will not let your body maintain a normal concentration of blood sugar. Hence, the low level of sugar in the blood will cause weakness and fatigue. So eat lots of complex carbohydrates like cereals and bread.
5. Eat Foods That Restore Salt And Potassium
After drinking, lots of potassium from the body is lost due to frequent urination. Potassium and salts keep the functioning of nerves and muscles in proper order. Sipping some bouillon soup helps to restore the potassium and salt in the body. Other foods that provide potassium are bananas, avocados, orange juice, potato chips etc.
6. Eat Foods Containing Fructose
Fructose helps to burn alcohol faster. So eating fruits and fruit juices will provide lots of fructose. Although, research says that consumption of fructose will make the metabolic effect of alcohol easier, but cannot relieve a person from the effects of a hangover.
7. Eat A Bacon Sandwich
As mentioned earlier, bread will increase the level of sugar in the body. Additionally, the protein in the bacon will convert into amino acids. Hence, the brain neurotransmitters will be replenished, which were degraded by the alcohol.
8. Try To Remain Happy
According to a study conducted by the British Medical Journal, in 1997, the hangover does not solely depend on how much or what you drink. A hangover is also affected by factors like negative incidents in past twelve months, anger or depression while drinking, having a neurotic personality, guilt about drinking etc.
9. Chewing Ginger
Chewing small pieces of ginger helps to get relief from hangovers. You can also boil about ten pieces of roots of ginger in about four cups of water. Add a half cup of honey, half lemon and juice of one orange to the boiled mixture. This recipe will provide faster relief from a hangover, as it stabilizes the level of sugar in the blood.
10. Eating Eggs
Eating eggs is a simple remedy to get rid of a hangover. Eggs contain Cysteine, which are a type of amino acids that help to overcome the effects of acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is found to worsen the effects of hangovers.
Having a proper sleep is the most effective way to get rid of a hangover. Sleeping controls the Rapid Eye Movement, which helps in sufficient restoration of brain cells because of the rebound of glutamine in your system.
These were some remedies to get rid of a hangover fast. Now, let us study some wrong notions that we had been following for ages.
Myths About Remedies Of Hangover And True Facts
- The order of drinking alcoholic beverages has nothing to do with the magnitude of the hangover. The hangover depends on the type of your drink.
- Diet drinks do not help to overcome the effects of alcohol.
- It is believed that having a drink in the morning saves from a hangover. The truth is that it only delays the hangover.
- Hangover pills that contain natural ingredients like artichoke extracts and yeast have a negligent effect on the hangover. Instead, you can pop pills that contain extracts from prickly pear cactus. Note that even this ingredient does not counter a bothersome headache, but only solves issues like nausea and dry mouth.
Hope this article provided you sufficient information on How to get rid of a hangover fast? Taking a few preventive measures related to drinking will help you enjoy the parties to their fullest and not regret later.