Everyone desires a beautiful skin that glows and looks lively. Especially, the skin on our face is the most noticeable one. An expensive dress and well-crafted hair will not influence people if your skin looks dry and dull. The most common problem with the facial skin is that it becomes dry faster than the skin on any other parts of the body. Dry skin is a result of genetics, environmental conditions, aging, lack of proper nutrition or excessive rinsing of the skin with soap and water. We understand your concern about your skin. So we have brought various solutions explaining how to get rid of dry skin on face, in this article.
How To Get Rid Of Dry Flaky Skin On Your Face?
First of all, it is obligatory to mention that when you are trying to get rid of the dryness, the skin has to be hydrated externally, as well as internally. Fortunately, doing both of this is possible through a simple caring routine.
How To Wash Your Face?
When you wash your face, you clean the dirt and excessive oils that have clung to your skin. Doing this part in a wrong way may ruin the purpose of cleaning the face, as it may be left dry and flaky. So let us understand a fitting way to wash the face and care for it, thereafter.
1. Wash With Warm Water
- The skin on your face is more sensitive than the rest of your skin. So washing it with the warm water is advisable, rather than with hot water. The reason being, warm water makes your pores relaxed, making it more effective to wash your face. But hot water will remove even the natural and required oils from your skin.
- If it is necessary for you to wash your face with hot water, then splash some cold water on your face after you treat it with the hot water. It helps to reduce the time for which the heat will retain on your face.
- When you go out on a sunny day, wash your face with cold water after getting back home. Do this as soon as you can to cool down the skin of your face.
2. Use Mild Cleansers On Your Face
- The soaps available for body contain very harsh chemicals. So you should never use them on your face. Always, use the products that are specially meant for cleansing the face.
- While buying any facial product from the market, look out for non-sudsy cleansers or non-soap cleansers.
- Also, see that the cleanser is devoid of lauryl sulfate, which is a substance that takes away the moisture from the skin.
- Stay away from the cleansers containing alcohol or strong fragrances. These substances work as an astringent for your skin and may leave your skin dry, after usage.
3. Pat Dry Your Face
- Never rub your face vigorously after washing to make it dry. Instead, use a soft towel to gently pat your face.
- The best practice is to pat dry the facial skin for about 20 seconds or less.
- You can also use a cloth that is soft. Just make sure that the fibres are water-absorbent. Terry cloth is a suggested type for patting dry the face with a cloth.
- You can check how much to pat your face by observing that it should have stopped dripping wet. But it should feel moist on touching, of course.
4. Moisturize After Washing
- Right after you are done with washing your face, moisturize it with a generous amount of lotion or cream.
- Moisturize it when the skin is still moist after washing. This will help to retain more moisturizer in the skin, for a longer time.
- If you do not know what to buy, go for any moisturizing product that is meant for the face. If you are already using a lotion or cream, but it is not working for your face, then get a moisturizer with ingredients like glycerin, shea butter, stearic acid or ceramides. These substances have the potential to replace the lost natural outer protective layer on the skin.
5. Points To Remember For Exfoliating Your Skin
- It is crucial to exfoliate the skin regularly to eradicate the dead cells in the skin, which make your face appear dull.
- For exfoliation, use a gentle scrub specially made for face. Scrub in circular motions.
- If your skin is sensitive to the commercially available scrubs, either use homemade scrubs or a baby’s washcloth to exfoliate the skin on the face.
- Tools like a baby’s washcloth, exfoliating gloves or dry skin brush for the face, are effective in removing the dead skin and maintaining the moisture in the skin.
- Immediately, moisturize your face after scrubbing.
5 Vital Tips To Follow In Order To Get Rid Of Flaky Skin
- Keep the usage of chemical products on your face to a minimum.
- When skin becomes very dry, it becomes itchy. Do not scratch, as it may damage the skin. Instead, use a face moisturizer. If that does not help, you can use a hydrocortisone cream or an anti-itch cream.
- If your face has a very dry skin, then hydrate it twice a week with a hydrating mask. Aloe-vera can act as a natural hydrant for the skin. Apply it over the face and rinse off after 15 minutes. This will help to reduce the dryness of the skin. You can also use other such materials that help to keep the skin moist.
- If you are going out in harsh environmental conditions, try to keep your skin covered with clothes.
- If the ambient moisture in your home is less, place a humidifier in your room. Too much of exposure to the A/C can also cause the skin to dry out.
How To Hydrate The Skin From Inside?
Caring for the skin from outside will not prove to be completely helpful, if you do not hydrate it from inside too. Follow the below tips to get rid of dry skin:
- Drink at least 2 litres of water each day.
- Eat fruits and vegetables with high water content daily. 2 portions of each of them every day will suffice the need of your skin for nutrition and hydration.
- Do not avoid fat consumption entirely. Eat some healthy fats instead, as they help to transport nutrients to the cells and increase the flow of the blood.
- Eat foods that contain more monosaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Such foods are peanut butter, olives, avocados, tofu, walnuts, salmon etc.
- If you are not getting proper nutrition through diet, take some required supplements.
- Limit the consumption of fried and salty foods, as they may dehydrate your body.
- Cut back on smoking and drinking.
Hope you liked this article on How to get rid of dry skin on your face and will follow the given tips to get a refreshing skin, all year round.