In this fast paced life where you have to spend most of your time out of the home, it is very likely that your skin may encounter a lot of dust and impurities in the air. Hence, the upper layer of your skin becomes dull and patchy, due to the dead and dirty cells. Moreover, with age the regeneration capacity of the cells decreases and that easily shows on your face. But, do all these mean that you cannot get an alluring and a blooming skin? Why not? If there are problems, there are solutions too. For your convenience, we have compiled some best tips and tricks to enlighten you on How to exfoliate your face. Let us get started towards a youthful skin.
How To Exfoliate Face?
First of all, we will tell you about the exfoliation method using a simple sugar scrub.
Exfoliating The Face
- With the help of a hair band or a hair tie, pull away all your hair away from your face.
- Under some warm water, wet a smooth washcloth. Now drain the washcloth and place it over your entire face for 1 or 2 minutes. This will help to open the clogged pores of your skin, for better exfoliation in the coming steps.
- After removing the cloth from your face, wash your entire face with a face wash that suits your skin the best, so that the excess of dirt is removed before you exfoliate.
- After washing the face, it’s time to prepare the scrub. In a small bowl, mix three tablespoons of white sugar with one tablespoon of water.
- Mix the contents with your fingers, till the texture of the contents become like a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your face and massage with your fingers, in circulars motions. Do not miss out on any inch of your face.
- After you feel that you have removed the dead skin from your face, wash it with lukewarm water to get rid of the stickiness of the scrubbing paste.
- In the next step, splash your face with cold water. This will ensure that the pores on your face will close.
- Dry your face with a soft towel by patting it gently. You should never rub your face vigorously with a towel. It may damage your skin.
5 Types Of Natural Scrubs That You Can Make At Home
1. Coffee Scrub
Coffee has invigorating effects when used as a scrub for the skin. The caffeic acid in the coffee helps in boosting the production of the collagen of the skin. Coffee also has anti-inflammatory properties. Like a mind stimulant in the morning, coffee also stimulates the skin.
For scrub, mix 1 tbsp of ground coffee with 1 tbsp of olive oil or water. You can also save some money, by using the leftover from the coffee that you brew for drinking. If you are using olive oil, there is no need to moisturize your skin with cream after exfoliating.
2. Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda has innumerable uses and benefits, which may need a separate article to be written. From the point of view of scrubbing, baking soda can make your skin glow with its grains that are so perfectly sized to be used as exfoliants. Many of the fans of this scrub method have also told that it helped to get rid of acne too. Mix baking soda with water and scrub it gently on your face. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse your face with cold water. You will notice the dead skin will get discarded.
3. Oatmeal Scrub
Ground oatmeal can work wonders for your skin. It helps in not only exfoliating the skin, but has the tendency to absorb the dirt and other impurities from the skin. This scrub hydrates the skin and also heals problems like sunburn, acne, flaky skin etc. It is a boon for people with very sensitive skin, who find even other natural scrubs harsh on their skins. To make the oatmeal scrub, all you have to do is mix 1 tbsp of ground oatmeal with 1/4th tsp of salt and water or olive oil. Make a paste and gently exfoliate your skin by scrubbing in circular motions. Let it settle on your skin for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
4. Cornmeal Or Nutmeal Scrub
Corn meal and nutmeal scrubs help removing the dead skin and provide sufficient nourishment to it. Mix 2 to 3 tbsp of either of them with water and form a thick paste. Let it sit for 15 minutes on your face and then wash your face with water.
5. Green Tea And Ginger Scrub
Green tea and ginger are well known for their rejuvenating properties. This scrub also helps to lighten the dried and dark regions like knees and elbows. To make this scrub, mix 1 cup of brewed tea with 3 tbsp of grated ginger and 2 cups of white sugar. Massage your skin thoroughly with this scrub while you are in the shower. After you finish bathing, apply a good quality moisturizer to your skin.
Tips For Exfoliating The Skin
- The skin repairs all the damaged cells during the night. So morning is the best time to exfoliate the dead layers of the skin.
- You should not over-exfoliate your skin, as the granules of the scrub may tear and damage your skin. Scrubbing once or twice a week is sufficient.
- You should always scrub in circular motions to get the best results.
- After exfoliation, always rinse off the scrub with lukewarm water. Using very hot water will enlarge the pores on your face, providing more space for dirt to settle, later on.
- If you are running short of time, you can mix the scrub with your cleanser and massage your face, to do it all at one time.
- When you scrub your face, don’t forget to exfoliate the lips too.
- After scrubbing, massage your skin with a thick moisturizer for a smoother and softer effect.
We hope that you will use these tips on How to exfoliate the skin on your face to gain a polished and velvety skin. If you have some other tips that you want to share with other readers, feel free to drop them in the comment box given below.