Are dark circles bothering you and you have a dull look owing to these? Do not worry about your dull look but rather know how to cover up dark circles to look beautiful. Here are few simple steps to help you hide dark circles.
How To Cover Up Dark Circles?
1. Face Wash
Wash the face with a soothing face wash or cleanser, then rinse your face with plain cold water. By doing so, the blood circulation to the face increases reducing the puffiness.
2. Moisturizing Your Face
Moisturize your face completely especially the area around the eyes – while doing so do not drag the skin as it may cause wrinkles. Apply moisturizer in such a way, you do not cause wrinkles.
3. Pick Up A Concealer That Suits You
Choose a concealer of a lighter shade than your skin color. Basically, concealers are obtained in two forms – tube and stick.
- Stick form concealers are more opaque and dry compared to tube concealers. In case if you have wrinkles below the eye make sure you use a good amount of concealer to hide the wrinkles. If you use less moisturizer, then the wrinkles can be seen clearly.
- Select a tinted peach or yellow colored concealer to counter the blue tones under the eyes.
4. Apply Concealer After Foundation
In case if you apply the concealer before foundation then you may not make out the effects of this product as the foundation hides the concealing effects. Additionally, applying the lightening product on the foundation may require less concealer. To apply concealing product, you can use your fingers or a brush. If applied through hands take some amount of it in the ring finger and gently dab beneath the eyes without any pressure. Make sure the product blends completely with the skin.
5. Use Powder Concealer Under Eyes
Take some concealer in the puff and press the same (puff) under the eye. By doing this, the dark area, is more covered resulting in a bright look and lasts for the entire day.
6. Dab A Little White Eyeshadow Or Shimmering Beige To The Tear Duct
Applying white shadow or shimmering beige give you a bright look instantly. Your eyes appear bright hence taking off the attention from the eye circles. To maintain the long and bright look, you can use white eyeliner underneath the shadow.
You can follow the above steps to hide dark circles and look stunning.
Causes For Dark Circles
It is essential to know the causes for dark circles to prevent them. Dark circles are termed as periorbital puffiness or periorbital dark circles. These circles snatch the natural beauty making you look pale and degenerated. Additionally, the shadowed grooves or dark circles (also known as tear tracks) gives the impression of aged or ill health. However, dark circles do not signify any medical concern but it only affects the physical appearance. There are multiple remedies to overcome dark circles. Before proceeding, here are the causes for dark circles.
1. Having Thin Skin Under Eyes
Generally, the skin below the eyes is thinner about half millimeter than the skin elsewhere. As the skin is very thin, it appears transparent and the ‘inside’ blood vessels are seen easily and clearly. Moreover, if you are anemic or pregnant, the skin below the eyes is more transparent. The blood in this area appears bluish in color instead of red because the skin cells are good transmitters of the blue color than the other colors. As a result, the skin beneath the eyes appears brown, blue or green depending on your skin color.
2. Dark Pigment Or Excess Melanin
Extra melanin also contributes for dark circles and usually, people from Mediterranean descent or South Asian people have hyperpigmentation. Dark circles are genetic and occur irrespective of health or age. If the dermatologist gives you some cream to treat the dark circles then it contains hydroquinone that is the bleach.
3. Shadow Due To Drooping Skin Under The Eyes
Skin appears saggy and a pouch-like due to aging and exposure to the sun. The stretchy proteins elastin and collagen get destroyed when exposed to much sun and age. Stretchy proteins contribute to young, smooth and taut skin. The sagged skin appears thinner in places and looks darker. The tear tough area under the eyes looks dark because of the shadows.
4. Shadow From Edema Or Puffiness
The skin around the eyes may dome up due to fluid retention leaving behind the shadow. Crying, temporary illness, allergies, stress, or excess salt consumption releases cortisol increasing the blood volume and resulting in puffiness.
Home Remedies For Dark Circles
1. Almond Oil
It is one of the natural ingredients to help you get rid of dark circles. In case if you have a delicate skin then almond oil can make wonders for you. Try out this remedy to get best and quick results. Using the almond oil regularly supplemented with vitamin E oil alleviates the dark circles completely.
- Apply little almond oil on the dark circles and gently massage until it gets into the skin before going to bed.
- Allow it to work overnight
- Wash your face with cold water next morning
- Follow the procedure regularly until you get rid of dark circles
Light astringent and skin-lightening properties of cucumber help you fix the dark circles resulting in natural skin color. Additionally, the refreshing and soothing effects of cucumber rejuvenate the skin.
- Take a fresh cucumber and cut down few slices and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Keep the slices in the affected region for 10 minutes. Rinse the area with plain water and repeat two times a day for a week or more.
- Add lime juice to the cucumber juice in equal parts. Take a cotton ball and dab the mixture gently on the dark circles. Allow them mixture to work for about 30 minutes before washing with plain water. You can follow this remedy at least once a week.
3. Raw Potato
Potato is one of the natural bleaching agents and helps you to get rid of dark circles and puffiness.
- Extract juice from one or two potatoes by grating them. Wet a cotton ball and place over your closed eyes. Check whether the cotton ball covers your eyelid and dark circles completely. Allow it to work for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then wash the eyelids using cold water. You can repeat the procedure once or two times per day and can do it for few weeks.
- Alternatively, you may use thick potato slices to get rid of dark circles instead of potato juice.
4. Rose Water
Rose water is one of the incredible skin care agents. It helps the skin to rejuvenate and soothing. Also, it helps relieve the tiredness of eyes. Additionally, it is a good skin toner as it contains slight astringent properties.
- Soak cotton balls for few minutes in rose water
- Place the soaked cotton pads on the closed eyelids
- Allow the cotton pad to work for about 15 minutes
- You can follow the procedure two times a day for a couple of weeks.
The bleaching properties of tomato help lighten skin and get rid of skin darkening.
- Mix half teaspoon of lemon juice with a teaspoon of tomato juice and dab the mixture gently on the dark circles. Allow the mixture to work for 10 minutes. Rinse your face with plain water. You can follow the procedure two times per day and for a couple of weeks. Alternatively, you can use only tomato juice to get rid of dark circles.
- Instead, you can consume tomato juice by adding few mint leaves, salt, and lemon juice. To get great results drink the juice immediately once prepared. You can drink it for once or two times per day for a week.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains vitamin C and helps you to alleviate the dark circles as it contains the skin-lightening properties.
- With a cotton ball dab the lemon juice around the eyes and allow it to work for about 10 minutes. You can do this once in few weeks.
- Prepare a thick paste by adding a pinch of gram flour, a tablespoon of lemon juice, two tablespoons of tomato juice and a pinch of turmeric powder. Gently apply the paste around the eyes. Rinse the paste using plain water after 10 or 15 minutes. You can redo the procedure thrice in a week.
Note: If you have sensitive skin and lemon juice triggers burning then do not follow the above remedy.
7. Coconut Oil
You can massage coconut oil on the darkened surface. Massaging stimulates blood circulation – in turn aids skin lightening. Additionally, coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that promotes wrinkle-free smooth skin and also removes fine lines under the eyes.
- Take some coconut oil and gently massage over the affected area
- Before rinsing off allow it to work for few hours
- You can repeat the technique twice or thrice a day for a couple of months or until you get satisfactory results.
8. Tea Bags
Tea contains antioxidants and caffeine. These effectively removes the dark circles and puffiness occurring under the eyes caused due to fluid retention or shrinking of blood vessels. In particular, the tannins aids to decrease discoloration and swelling.
- Take two used black or green tea bags and keep them in refrigerator to allow them to get chilled for about 30 minutes
- Keep one tea bag over each eye and allow the tea bag to work for 10 or 15 minutes
- Take off the bags and rinse your face
- You can follow this technique once or two times a day for a couple of weeks
Note: While placing tea bags be careful and do not allow the tea to get into your eyes.
9. Cold Compress
The blood vessels can be constricted using a cold compress and aids you to reduce dark circles and puffiness.
- Take a washcloth and soak it in cold milk or cold water to prepare a cold compress. Place the cold compress on your closed eyes for few minutes.
- Instead, you can also take few ice cubes wrapped in a soft cloth and keep it under the eyes for several minutes. Alternatively, you can use a chilled tea bag, cold spoon, or frozen peas. Repeat the procedure for a couple of times daily.
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of the turmeric help lighten the dark circles. Additionally, it makes your skin soft and smooth.
- Prepare a thick paste by adding two teaspoons of turmeric powder and pineapple juice
- Apply the paste to the dark circle
- Allow the paste for 10 minutes
- Then use damp cloth to wipe the paste from the skin
- You can repeat the procedure for few days until you can see noticeable results
Apart from the above home remedies, your eyes need proper care. Here are some tips to help you to take care of your eyes.
- Your eyes need sufficient rest – sleep well and adequately
- Do not rub your eyes often or too much for any reason. Too much rubbing dilate the blood vessels thus causing the darkening of cells
- Before going to bed, it is essential for you to remove the eye makeup completely
- Avoid going into the sun and keep it to minimal
- Stay hydrated, drink a lot of water and help your skin to retain the moisture
- You can add two or more pillows while sleeping to elevate your head and it also helps to get rid of pooling fluids in the lower eyelids
- Always have a balanced diet and consume food containing Vitamins E, A and C
- Avoid smoking, consumption of caffeine and alcohol. Smoking damages your skin cells. Alcohol and caffeine dehydrate your body in turn weakening your skin around the eyes as it is more delicate.
- Exercise daily to improve the blood circulation throughout the body and face. This helps you to reduce puffiness. Additionally, practicing yoga promotes breathing resulting in healthy skin.