I was planning a vacation to some place where I do not need to be bound by time and definite routes, where I can explore the scenic beauty at my own leisure and where I can go to the places I love. When I thought about the mode of getting around, I had two options – Public transportation or a rented car. The problem with public transportation is that I would have to follow the schedules and the defined routes, which will kill the thrill out of my holiday plan. I believe that whether you are on a vacation or on a business trip, renting a car is always a convenient option to get around. But for most of us, one question will always matter the most – How much does it cost to rent a car?
To know about the charges that one would be paying for renting a car, it is important to state that the cost depends mainly on the type and the class of the rental car that you opt for. The cars are segregated into four classes – Luxury, Standard, Intermediate and Economy.
Different Classes Of Cars
The most extravagant charges for rental cars are of the special, premium or luxury rental car class. Rates for luxury rental vehicles may differ dramatically, depending on the type of the car. Generally, they start from about 80 USD and reach more than 120 USD per day. Premium rental cars also differ in features and size. This class of cars includes all the luxury cars ranging from 2-seater convertibles to spacious SUVs to family-friendly minivans and even the passenger vans.
The standard class rental cars or the full-size rental class cost between 55 USD and 75 USD per day. Standard cars provide the most space for the best deal in price. The back seats of large cars are spacious enough to easily accommodate 2 adults and 1 child, in addition to 2 adults in the front seat. Standard cars also prove to be the best option for the people who are traveling with more luggage, as the trunks can fit in at least 3 huge size and 3 small size suitcases. The most preferred standard cars include the Chevrolet Impala, Ford Taurus or Buick Lacrosse.
Intermediate cars or medium sized rental cars are a bit better than the compact class cars, in terms of space, as well as pricing. Intermediate cars will cost more or less between 50 USD and 70 USD per day and can fit 2 adults and 2 children comfortably. The extra space is mostly in the region of the trunk. Medium size cars come with sufficient space accommodate 2 big suitcases and 2 small pieces of baggage. When you are opting for hiring an intermediate or medium size car, be ready to get models like the Chevrolet Cruze, Toyota Corolla or Hyundai Sonata.
Compact or economy class cars are the least expensive when you want to rent them. The costs range between 45 USD and 65 USD per day. Cars in the standard class are small in size and can are sufficient to comfortably accommodate only 2 adults and 2 kids. If you are carrying an ample of luggage while traveling, then we advise that rental cars of the economy class are not for you. These cars can generally fit only 1 huge suitcase and 2 smaller bags when they are full with passengers. Generally, they do not have extra facilities like GPS navigation, as they are less expensive. Examples of compact or economy class cars are the Chevrolet Aveo, Toyota Escort and Nissan Versa.
How To Rent A Car?
If you are new to renting a car in a new place, following points may guide you to get a rental car:
- Search for a good rental car website by logging in different websites and reading the customer feedback.
- After selecting a trusted site, enter the required information that has to be given, such as the pick-up location or the city, date and time of your arrival. Generally, the pick-up and drop-off place is expected to be the same. So change the information if it is not so in your case. Remember that there is usually an extra charge if the locations differ.
- Select a vehicle based on your need and budget.
- Decide if you wish to take extra items like coverages/protection, child safety seats or GPS. The cost of such things has to be paid additionally.
- Give personal details and payment information into the fields of data. It is to be noted that you should be at least 25 years old to get a rented car. However, there are a few companies who will rent to individuals of younger age by incurring some additional charges. As stated by Hertz Rent-a-Car: “Age Exceptions and Restrictions, persons between the age of 21 and 24 years can rent from a specified range of vehicles by paying an additional differential charge on per day basis.
- Before submitting the request, it is important to analyze the reservation information and go through any terms and conditions. If all data is correct, you can proceed to submit the reservation.
- Read carefully and get a printed copy of the confirmation. If there is an error or some discrepancy or you have a query about your reservation, make a call to the company and ask for guidance.
What Are The Extra Or Hidden Charges That You May Have To Pay?
Most of the companies do not mention, but there are hidden charges that you need to pay. The extra charges may be incurred in the form of car rental insurance, gasoline charges, drop-off charges, mileage, early return fees, peak season surcharges etc.
Hopefully, this article has given you sufficient information on “How much does it cost to rent a car?” and you may be able to plan a perfect holiday or a business trip for yourself. If you have any other tips that you find worth sharing with other readers, feel free to drop them in the comment box given below.